“When we made the sad announcement that Riverfest would be ceasing operations after 40 years, I got many questions asking, ‘So what will happen to Springfest,?'” says DeAnna Korte, former longtime executive director of Riverfest. “So I was thrilled when the Museum of Discovery became interested in taking over the event, particularly because the museum was a great partner with Riverfest and Springfest, and museum CEO Kelley Bass was a longtime Riverfest board and committee member.”
Springfest will feature many of the activities that made it a highly popular and rapidly growing event in its first two years and the Museum of Discovery will add hands-on activities and exciting “Awesome Science” shows that define its award-winning brand. Little Rock Police estimated attendance at 15,000 in 2016 and 20,000-25,000 in 2017.
“Springfest will give the Museum of Discovery a chance to host a family fun day with a science twist,” Bass says. “Great partners including Heifer International, the Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center and the Little Rock Convention and Visitors Bureau have already gotten on board, and past and potential sponsors appear eager to work with us on making Springfest bigger and better than ever. We are happy to be able to expose the museum’s work to an even wider audience and to give back to the community and the tens of thousands of Museum of Discovery fans with this free event.”
Springfest also will be another chance for dozens of the Riverfest Committee members to work together on the event they operated its first two years.
“Few people understand the commitment and drive of the Riverfest Committee members,” Bass says. “They don’t just help with an event. They run an event. Many of the Committee members have already worked on other Museum of Discovery events, and now they’ll get a chance to lead this effort and help our staff and core volunteers learn how Springfest is done!”
Springfest also will be the first project undertaken by the new Discovery Alliance, a group of Museum of Discovery supporters whose goal is to promote the museum and ensure its sustained financial sustainability.
Activities and attractions planned for Springfest 2018 include:
* Super Retriever Series – featuring the best dog and handler teams from around the
country as they compete in a variety of activities
* Ruff on the River Pooch Parade – showcasing the best-dressed dogs and dog parents Arkansas has to offer
* Hero Zone – festival-goers’ chance to interact with those who serve us every day – the Little Rock Police and Fire Departments, MEMS, Arkansas State Police and Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department
* Bounce Zone – obstacle courses, bounce houses and a giant slide
* Construction Zone – the chance for kids to climb on and sit in large construction equipment and pilot their own toy trucks and dozers through the sand
* Museum of Discovery Awesome Science Shows – experience the same “wow” kind of science that landed a museum educator on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” and led to museum educators being featured as a top attraction every day of the 2017 Arkansas State Fair
* Community Dance and Cheer Teams … and Bands! – Celebrate the talent that abounds in Central Arkansas as area dance teams, cheer teams and bands perform
* Local food trucks and arts-and-craft vendors
And there will be plenty of other activities, from face painting to “stomp rockets” to some of the popular activities featured at Tinkerfest at the Museum of Discovery.
For more information or to potentially be featured as a sponsor or vendor at Springfest, please contact Austin Hall – firstname.lastname@example.org; 501-406-7568.
About Museum of Discovery
Museum of Discovery is dedicated to igniting a passion for science, technology, engineering, arts and math in a dynamic, interactive environment. Founded in 1927, Museum of Discovery is the oldest museum in the state.
Hours of Operation: Tuesday – Saturday: 9 am – 5 pm; Sunday: 1-5 pm; Closed Monday
(open Mondays in the summer and on major holidays)
Admission: $10 adults; $8 ages 1-12; free under 1; members free
Phone Number: 501.396.7050