This year – resolve to make new discoveries. If you’re still as curious as a kid, help engage tomorrow’s teachers, scientists and engineers at the Museum of Discovery as a volunteer. Discover what it’s like to encourage a child to lie on a bed of nails, get sneezed on, measure the amount of blood in his body, make electricity….or experience a tornado, experiment with “Whoosh” and observe all kinds of animals. Can you imagine the fun and the learning?
What could I do as a volunteer?
ReDiscover the interactive exhibits by engaging visitors in the galleries.
Assist with pre-kindergarten programs on Tuesday mornings.
Assist with open-ended projects in the Tinkering Studio: Thursday and Friday, 3:00-5:00; any shifts Saturday or Sunday.
Assist with administrative work.
Help with special events.
When could I help?
Shifts are 2 hours each. Schedules are individualized.
Weekends: Saturday 10:00-12:00,12:00-2:00 and 2:00-4:00. Sunday 1:00-3:00 and 3:00-5:00.
Weekdays: Tuesday - Friday: 10:00-12:00; 12:00-2:00; 3:00-5:00.
Volunteers wear an orange Museum of Discovery T-shirt.
How do I join the volunteer staff?
Request an adult application from Debra Grandle, Manager of Volunteers, firstname.lastname@example.org or 501.537.3087.
Teens 14-18 may request an application for the 2013 summer camp counselor program.
What about a Corporate Volunteer Weekend?
Contact Debra Grandle, Manager of Volunteers, for group details. email@example.com or 501.537.3087.
Discovery Camp Counselor (Teen Volunteer Program)
Download application here.
Teen volunteers will develop leadership skills while assisting Museum of Discovery educators as counselors during 2013 summer camps. This is an opportunity to participate in a volunteer program that will introduce students ages 14-18 to the world of volunteering in an environment that fosters a passion for science, technology, engineering and math.
Discovery Camp Counselors will be selected from a pool of applicants who complete the application process. The deadline for receipt of the completed application packet is Thursday, March 28. Those selected to move forward will be scheduled for an interview. Successful candidates will be notified by May 10. This process provides teens an opportunity to develop skills needed to obtain their first job. Selected applicants will have additional opportunities to participate in the ongoing teen volunteer program.
Please complete the application packet if you are able to answer yes to the following questions:
- Will you be at least 14 but no older than 18 by April 1?
- Are you able to volunteer Monday through Friday for your assigned morning or afternoon camp? Morning camp shifts are 8:00-12:30. Afternoon camp shifts are 12:00-5:00.
- Are you able to commit to a minimum of three camps and a maximum of four camps? Each camp is one week. They are scheduled June 10-28 and July 8-August 2. Visit www.museumofdiscovery.org for details.
- Are you able to commit to a mandatory training from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, June 5?
Will you be able to fullfill these progam application requirements:
- Complete the volunteer application and all associated forms.
- Submit a half-page response to the question “Why would you like to volunteer at the Museum of Discovery?”
- Submit two letters of reference from teachers or school counselors with whom you have had a relationship in the past two years.
- Attend a scheduled interview accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Deadline for the receipt of these completed application packets is March 28, 2013.
Please return the completed application to:
Debra Grandle, Volunteer Program Manager
or mail to
Museum of Discovery
500 President Clinton Ave.,Suite 150
Little Rock, AR 72201.
Download application here.